David Keith of Georgia
(ca 1765 – 1844)
At about the same time in 1784, five Keith men came forward to claim Revolutionary War bounty land in Georgia. These were Cornelius, Samuel, Sr., Samuel Jr., James and David KEITH. Assuming that the two Samuel Keiths were father and son, later events suggest that all four men were connected. Samuel, Jr. being of age to receive bounty land at the time would indicate that he was born in the 1760’s and Samuel, Sr. was born ca 1742 or earlier. David and James KEITH, presumed to be brothers or uncle/nephew, petitioned the Jasper County, GA court in 1825 to be made executors in the estate of Samuel KEITH (whether Sr or Jr is not known). One Samuel KEITH died 1802 in Ogilthorpe Co, Georgia, leaving as “orphan” a James KEITH, minor. In 1798, Asa KEITH (son of Cornelius) signed a “note of hand” to David KEITH, in the amount of $45. This debt was not paid on time, suggesting that Asa was probably a kinsman. David’s land grant was in Lincoln Co., GA, where Cornelius KEITH and several brothers (or sons), including Asa, lived and speculated in land during the 1780’s and until 1801.
David KEITH (b. ca 1765) m. 1st ca 1790 to Rebecca, sister of his friend, George WHITTON, Columbia Co., GA; m. 2nd 20 Jul 1823 to Jane MAGAHY; moved in 1812 to Jasper Co., GA, and in 1829 to Meriwether Co., GA; d. 1844. Children of David Keith are listed below.
Click on the name of interest to you for more detail about descendants.
Do you know these people? the two photos were found in a collection of family pictures belonging to Reuben W. Keith, and were apparently sent by kinfolks. Both photos are by one photographer in Newnan, GA.1. Elizabeth KEITH (b. 3 Dec 1791, Columbia Co., GA) m. Hardy, son of Tobias LASSETTER, Greene Co., GA; d. 11 Jan 1862, Meriwether Co., GA. On 22 Jun 1837, Whitton KEITH & Vincent LASSETTER were named to administer estate of Hardy LASSETTER. Thereafter, Elizabeth lived in Meriwether Co., GA.
2. John S. KEITH (b. 22 Aug 1793) m. 1st ca 1814 to Martha Ann, daughter of James and Ann COLBERT, Monroe Co., GA; lived in Meriwether Co., GA, 1830 to 1846; m. 2nd 23 May 1852 to Penelope (Jeter) HARRISON (b. 29 Nov 1805), Ripley Co., MO; d. 26 Oct 1859, Randolph Co., AR. [line of Larry Keith]
3. Whitton KEITH (b. 9 Feb 1795, Columbia Co., GA) m. 3 Feb 1816 to Sarah McDONALD, Jasper Co., GA; had gin, mill and large holdings in Meriwether Co., GA; d. 1845.
4. Nancy KEITH (b. 8 Feb 1797) m. 1 Feb 1821 to James PATTERSON, Jasper Co., GA; moved to Meriwether Co., GA.; d. ca 1841; had one daughter, Rebecca (m. Billington M. LEVERETT).
5. Daniel KEITH (b. 16 Oct 1798) m. 1st 10 Feb 1820 to Sarah A. SLAUGHTER; m. 2nd 23 May 1865 to Eliza MATHEWS; moved to Meriwether Co., GA in 1829; d. 1884.
6. George W. KEITH (b. 30 Aug 1800) m. 26 Dec 1847 to Sarah Elizabeth FIELDS; lived in Meriwether Co., GA.; d. 19 Jul 1867; had Mary Frances (b. 1860), and Jane Adella.
7. Mary KEITH (b. 29 Apr 1802) was living in 1845, but her marriage is not known.
8. Rebecca KEITH (b. 1805) m. 26 Feb 1823 to Harrison HAMRICK, Jasper Co., GA; moved to Meriwether Co., then to Troup Co., finally settling in Carroll Co., GA; d. 1878.
9. Harriet KEITH m. 2 Dec 1828 to Felix, son of Littleberry and Elizabeth (Rhodes) GRESHAM, Jasper Co., GA; moved to Chambers Co., AL.
10. David Marshall KEITH (b. 2 Apr 1810, Columbia Co., GA) m. 28 Apr 1836 to Martha A. FULLER, Troup Co., GA; lived in Meriwether Co., GA; d. 27 Feb 1855.
11. William Bryant KEITH (b. 2 Apr 1814) m. 1st 7 Apr 1836 to Lucinda FULLER and had three sons; [is believed to have m. 2nd to Mattie BANNERMAN, in AL, lived in Carroll Co., GA, and had additional children: Donna (b. 1870), Daniel O., Dove A. (m. 23 May 1897 to N. A. WILLIAMS), Odessa, and Robert (b. 1879; m 18 Apr 1905 to Emma McCORD)].